Lake Como by Bus
Travelling around Lake Como by bus is a good method of transport, relatively easy and more relaxing than driving. Buses are located in Piazza Cavour as well as across the road from the Como Lago Nord Train Station and some buses that run from Como San Giovanni Train Station. You can take the bus from here to various destinations around the lake.
- C10 bus service runs from Como along the west side of the lake and then round the northern end terminating at Colico on the north-east side of the lake.
- C20 bus service runs between Como and Argegno and takes a higher panoramic route with more spectacular views. After Argegno the bus heads inland to Lanzio and the Val D’Intelvi.
- C30 bus service runs from Como to Bellagio (through the area between the east and west branches).
- C40 bus service runs from Como to Lecco.
Menaggio to Lugano
From Menaggio Bus Station the C10 bus connects with the C12 for Lugano. Please note that the C12 bus will cross the border into Switzerland and is sometimes stopped for checks, ensure that you have your passport with you.
You disembark in Lugano at the bus stop in Via Campo Marzio, Cassarate and this is where you will also get the bus for returning to Menaggio. Journey time is approximately 1 hour.
Please note that tickets must be purchased prior to boarding the bus, you cannot pay on board. Tickets can be bought from some bars and newsagents (tabbachi – usually the ones with the white letter ‘T’ on the black square). For return journeys buy two single tickets.
If you are purchasing tickets in Lugano, you can buy them at the small kiosk that is just around the corner from the public toilets in this area (that you can see from the bus stop across the large car-parking area) – you can buy your ticket in euros, but please note that you cannot lift euros from any of the cashlines in Lugano.
Approximate journey times
- Como to Argegno – 40 minute
- Como to Menaggio – 1 hour, 10 minutes
- Como to Colico – 2 hours, 10 minutes
- Como to Bellagio – 1 hour, 10 minutes